GREENWOOD, Miss. (AP) — A man in the Mississippi Delta says he and his son are still alive because their dog alerted them that their house was on fire.

Elmo Proctor tells the Greenwood Commonwealth that the family's pit bull dog, named AP, pushed open a door and woke him by barking as the rental home filled with smoke Monday night.

Proctor and his son, Quincy Wilkins, were able to leave the home quickly. But, Proctor says he went back in to lead AP to safety.

Proctor says: "That dog saved my life."

The Greenwood Fire Department extinguished the blaze. It was contained to the kitchen, but other parts of the home had smoke damage.

———

Information from: The Greenwood Commonwealth, http://www.gwcommonwealth.com

Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.