Ruby Ann Gladness had a hot and traumatic start to her Tuesday morning when her house on Henry Street caught on fire.

The blaze started around 10 a.m., and she got out with no injuries.

The 55-year-old said she put a small pillow down in the bathroom, and it fell underneath the heater. It caught fire, and the flames spread throughout the house. She was in the kitchen when she saw it and escaped before it spread any closer to her.

“I just thank God Almighty that I got out,” Gladness said as she looked up at her scorched house.

She lived alone, and no other people were in the house at the time. She will be staying with her oldest daughter for the time being.

Contact Kerrigan Herret at 581-7233 or kherret@gwcommonwealth.com.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.