You are the owner of this article.
top story

Slaying of 12-year-old stuns city

  • 0
  • 3 min to read
Jordan Lloyd


There was one big, unanswerable question on North Stone Avenue Tuesday, the day after Jordan Lloyd died.

Jordan was a sweet 12-year-old kid, his friends and family say, who was doing what he always did late last Saturday afternoon, playing down the block at the house where all the kids went to play.

Then something happened in the backyard of that house in the 200 block of North Stone, and Jordan was rushed to the hospital with a gunshot wound to the head.

Jordan would later be transferred to the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson, where he was listed in critical condition until Monday, when he died from his wound.

Jacquez Wilson


Another kid who was always in the neighborhood, 16-year-old Jacquez Lamond Wilson, was arraigned Monday before Leflore County Judge Kevin Adams on one count of murder. He was being held without bond at the Leflore County Jail on Tuesday, where a jailer said the teen will be treated like the adult males charged with a crime.

The folks in the office at Snowden-Jones Apartments, 1620 Main Street, said they never had a problem with Wilson or his mother or his older sister in Apartment 2D. Wilson was so quiet, said a woman who worked in the office, she thought he stayed most of the time at his grandmother’s house, but she didn’t know where that might be.

It likely was close to North Stone Avenue, just a short block north of Carrollton Avenue, where Jordan Lloyd’s grandfather said he saw Wilson all the time.

Jeffrey Vance, who’s bedridden, remembered his grandson as “a nice kid, always playing.” Vance nodded to the next room from his bed and said Jordan would like to lie on the bed and watch TV with his little brother, but mostly played outside with all the kids in the neighborhood.

“That’s all he did,” Vance said. “He just played all the time. I don’t know how it happened here. The kid who shot him was always playing with him, too.”

Angela Wilkes stood on the front porch of the house where people in the neighborhood said the shooting occurred, only four houses away from Jordan’s home. A jumble of bikes and balls lay just off the porch, and an old deflated football was stuck in a muddy tire track in the front yard.

Wilkes said Jordan would be at the house as soon as school let out, playing with her nephews on a basketball goal set up on the street. The neighborhood was full of kids, she said, and they would all show up at her house. She said her brother and her nephews had left town for spring break.

“They were wrestling with the gun, and it just went off,” Wilkes said about Saturday’s fatal shooting. “But that shooting didn’t happen here. It didn’t happen here,” she said, contrary to the claims of everyone else this reporter interviewed in the neighborhood.

Some said it happened for no reason at all. Some said Wilson told Jordan he owed him money.

There are only six houses on Wilkes’ side of North Stone Avenue, and only three on the other side, along with The Salvation Army Church and community center. Lt. Tami Ellis of The Salvation Army said Jordan was a part of the church and its youth programs, like their Club 360 and Vacation Bible School.

“He was an outgoing young man,” Ellis said. “Nice, loved life. He was a growing young man.”

She said her husband, Lt. Jamaal Ellis, a fellow Salvation Army corps officer, was tending to the family.

Odessa Ross, who helps Jeffrey Vance since his strokes and heart attack, said Jordan loved to help his mother, Jasmine, with his little brother. Then she looked down and shook her head.

“He’s only 12 years old,” Ross said. “He didn’t even live life yet. He loved life, I know that.”

Jordan was remembered at Greenwood Middle School as a happy and energetic seventh-grader with lots of friends, a short kid with a big smile. Some of his work from a special class project is displayed in the library.

Wilson had been a student at Greenwood Middle School last year.

School officials say they will have counselors and support staff at the campus on Monday, when students return from the week-long break, to help them deal with the death of a schoolmate.

Greenwood police said Wilson shot Jordan once in the head. Police were called to the scene just about 5 p.m. Saturday but found Jordan was being driven to Greenwood Leflore Hospital in someone’s car. When that car broke down, police responded and got the boy to the emergency room.

Police Chief Ray Moore wouldn’t say what kind of weapon was used in the shooting or how Wilson came into possession of the gun. Only one shot was fired “as far as we know,” Moore said.

Moore said investigators have no evidence the shooting was accidental but wouldn’t say what the motive might be.

“We’re looking at several different angles at this time. We don’t have anything pinned down,” the police chief said.

Jordan’s death is Greenwood’s second homicide of the year. Moore said the investigation didn’t end with Wilson’s arrest, and more arrests are expected.

“We’re looking at some things that may branch off from this,” he said. “I can’t disclose much more without jeopardizing what we’re looking at.”

Contact Gavin Maliska at 581-7235 or

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.